Thursday, February 17, 2011

Full Moon

Yep, it's the week of a full moon. They say bad things happen in threes, and I hope I've reached that magic number. Between dumping dog food all over the kitchen floor, nearly setting a bagel on fire and now getting two trojan viruses (disguised as Antivirus System 2011) on my laptop, it's been one of those 24-hour slots where all you can do is take a deep breath...and laugh.

I'm not sure exactly where I picked up the virus. All I know is that one minute I was pricing plane tickets to MSP (can you say Grrrrls Weekend?), and the next my laptop went haywire -- and not just from airfare sticker shock.

A popup -- oh-so-cleverly made to look like it was a virus protection program from Microsoft, complete with altered logo -- came up. Then every single page I tried to open after that automatically redirected me to a page claiming my computer was vulnerable to attacks. Thankfully I'm suspicious by nature AND have an Android that I could Google things from. I wonder how many people have fallen victim to this thing AND have had to take their computer in to the geek doctor to get it fixed. Thanks to Google, the Spyware Doctor and the computer geek genes I inherited from my dad, I had new software and a solution installed and the problem wiped out in less than two hours.

Sometimes it pays to be a geek!

No comments: