Thursday, March 11, 2010

Totally Random

Where did Wednesday go? I didn't even blog but I have a good excuse: severe thunderstorms and a tornado warning. Yep, it's officially spring in the Ozarks.

We were blessed with temperatures in the seventies yesterday, which means less time in the house. Went on a great trail ride with friends in Flag Springs (two hollows over) and Johnny was a doll! He hasn't been out in a group since the Buffalo River ride back in November. I can't believe he's 11; my baby is finally growing up.

The sunshiny seventy-degree day had a tornado weather chaser. Our county was under a tornado watch for a little while last night -- but we didn't even get any rain. I usually book it over to the neighbor's when the warning comes on because I don't have a basement or what my cousin fondly calls a tornado trap. There's a saying around here that "tornadoes don't come in a hollow" (or a holler, to use the native tongue), but I don't really want to be the one to find out that's just an old wives' tale. Of course, one of the hazards of deafness is that a tornado could blow through when I am sleeping and I would sleep through the whole thing, no matter how loud it was.

I love spring -- to me, it symbolizes new beginnings. I'm getting my flowerbeds prepped for spring planting, which is about a month away. Getting ready for Operation Armadillo 2010 -- I have a nightly visitor who seems hell-bent on tearing up my lawn & I don't want him (or her? oh gosh, that would mean baby armadillos!) doing the same to my gardens.
Some people think armadillos are simply awesome. Huh? To me, they are almost on par with opossums, which are worse because they carry EPM. Google it; I'm just too lazy to go into the finer points of equine protozoal myeloencephalitis tonight.
Stay tuned for armadillo updates. I'm sure it will be an adventure. And don't worry, I won't post any photos of the resulting carnage. What -- you thought I would live trap it so it would come right back? Sorry to disappoint.

I've been transplanting seedlings out in the Hamiltons' greenhouse. It's like plant paradise in there right now, and I love it! Impatiens, begonias, marigolds, petunias, you name it, they're raising it in the nursery. I'm putting in a few hours tomorrow, as the weather is promising cloudy skies and lower temperatures, which are perfect for working in the greenhouse.

21 days to Chicago! And about 20 until my first magazine article is published -- I can't wait!

See -- completely random blog post.

No comments: