Sunday, March 30, 2008

One Relpax, two Relpax, three...

Migraines have been the bane of my existence for as long as I can remember. Boy, do I have stories -- but I'll spare you the gory details.

For me, these migraines mean everything gets put on hold in exchange for a dark room, drugs (my current favorite is Relpax) and a bag of ice. A puke bucket used to be a staple, but the Relpax has usually been able to make that item optional. I've been able to reduce the migraines to once every couple of months. Until lately. Now I've had four migraines a month the past two months.

Thursday I woke up with a full-blown, skull-crushing, serrated knives-in-your-eyes migraine -- which rendered medication useless. And thus, I went back into the timeworn routine of sleeping, waking, puking. Rinse and repeat.

Oh, wait. I did say I would spare you the details. My bad.

Thursday somehow passed into Friday & I came out on the other end of the migraine. Saturday I laid low -- no headache but feeling like crap. And woke up around 3 AM Sunday with another migraine. This time, the Relpax did most of its work -- so I just feel like crap without the headache or puking.

I'm willing to do almost anything to get rid of these debilitating episodes. I've already nixed MSG, sulfites, Splenda, and most high fructose corn syrup from my diet. Now, after evaluating what I've been eating (staples include fresh goat milk and cheese, farm-fresh eggs, free range beef & chicken, for crying out loud -- it's not as if I'm on a McDonald's diet), something as simple as wheat may be the latest culprit.

I've been eating a lot of whole-wheat bread (often homemade!), sandwich wraps, Kashi granola or cereal lately. And there's my guilty pleasure: pizza. Wheat in all of these. Apparently, some people have an intolerance to the gluten in wheat (gluten is the sticky stuff that binds the dough -- it's a protein that is hard for some to digest).

Like I said, I'm willing to try almost anything! But I have to admit that my taste buds are already rebelling. Dreaming about sourdough french toast. Cupcakes. Bread with homemade tomato jam. Pasta.

But. I'll try it for two weeks, a month. If it helps, maybe I can get back to doing more of the things I want to be doing instead of waiting to get over a migraine or get my energy levels back.

No comments: