Monday, April 19, 2010

The Wonderful, Wonderful Wizard....


This weekend, I got to see the national production of the Wizard of Oz -- in Springfield. I had great seats with my friends Joyce and Liam. And the best part was that the play was interpreted.
It's been years since I've been to a play. The last one I can remember attending was a Christmas Carol at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis -- and I think I was in high school then.

Since then, theater sets have changed a lot. The Oz performance, which was at the Juanita Hammons Hall, was amazing. Instead of the old school background sets, the background was created by a fancy-schmancy projector. Everything came to life, from the Kansas tornado that swept Dorothy away to Munchkinland, to the Yellow Brick Road and the sparkling green stars over Emerald City.

"Snickers," as Toto stole the show. What a well-trained dog -- this Scottie was a pro, trotting on and off the sides of the curtain, sitting next to Dorothy while she sang "Over the Rainbow," and being toted around in her arms.

The play was interpreted by a team of interpreters. I did not catch their names, but I definitely hope to see them in action again. I've never seen two interpreters team up to sign anything before, and it took me a little while to adjust.

Can't wait to see what productions Hammons Hall and the Walton Arts Center plan to present for the next round of plays. I plan to go to as many as my budget and schedule will allow.

No comments: