Monday, April 12, 2010

Chicago Recap

Chicago was, in one word, awesome. It was a girls' weekend to remember. I'm already looking at the calendar (and the budget) to see when I can go back.

I flew into O'Hare in the middle of the afternoon, then navigated my way to the Blue Line from O'Hare to the Clinton stop in downtown Chicago. It's amazing how so much of the train system in Chicago is not handicap-accesible -- at least on the route I traveled. There are stairs. LOTS of stairs, which are not for the faint of heart.


I found Union Station without a misstep (we won't talk about the poor guy I almost tripped with my rolling suitcase) and even got the express train to Lisle & Brenda's house. She hid a house key for me in a super top-secret spot so I could get into the house while she was at work. Lucky for me, her dogs love me and I got a tail-waggin' greeting from Sugar the pit bull and Hooch the french mastiff!

Sure, this might be too much detail, but this country mouse is proud that she didn't get lost in the Windy City! I guess you can take the girl out of the city but you can't take the city out of the girl.

One of the highlights of the trip was this smiling face:














We took a field trip to the Chicago Botanic Garden and wandered through the greenhouses and gardens. It was a beautiful day and we had a very relaxing time. I loved this purple flower -- it was surreal and the color could not quite be captured on camera! I need to find some seeds or seedlings of this flower.


After the relative calmness of the Botanic Garden, we decided to do something off-the-wall for our Girls Night Out.

We went to Medieval Times.

Yes, with wenches, knights, jousting, princes, horses and cheering. It was dinner theater with horses.

There was also a visit with the Easter Bunny at the country club on Sunday:

I got a city fix, times ten. I made a few trips to my beloved Caribou Coffee for a cup of happiness. Stopped counting calories and indulged in Chicago deep-dish pizza, sushi, chocolate-chip-blueberry pancakes, the best dessert ever at Stir Crazy, and a few martinis. (Not all at one sitting.) I also became addicted to chocolate Cheerios.

I also got to see a movie. In the theater. With captions. It's been about eight years since I've been to a movie theater with captions. I think seeing a movie in the theater is going to become a girls weekend tradition!

Thanks to Brenda & Sophia & Sara for a fabulous time. I can't wait until the next one!











No comments: