Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Music Within

No, this isn't a blog waxing philosophical about how we all need to find that music within. I'm waiting to see how the AMA Flattrack race turns out in Indianapolis tonight -- hoping they will actually get to race despite the weather!

The other night, I Netflixed the movie "The Music Within," and it was really good. In a nutshell, it's about a guy who loses his hearing in Vietnam and his resulting struggles led him to become an activist and be a driving force in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

I was mainly interested in this movie because it portrayed someone who lost his hearing. However, he was actually "just" hard of hearing & could hear well enough to talk on the phone. Yes, I know, I am being harsh but whatever (I'm perhaps just jealous his loss seems insignificant compared to mine).

Anyhow. It's a good movie, one I recommend everyone watch because it will indeed give you an inside perspective on a disabled person's life. There are so many different levels of disabilities & each affects a person differently. This film will probably make you think a little about the labels and unconscious judgments we put on others.

--------------------------
Still waiting on those race results. Kenny Coolbeth has locked in the #1 title for the 2008 season regardless of how this race goes, but I still want to see his name up on the podium!

No comments: