Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Confessions of a sheet snob

Hey from Tulsa -- again! I'm back in the deadliest city in Oklahoma for another horse show. In the goal of saving some cash, I tried booking a hotel north of the fairgrounds, and it backfired on me. Driving to check in to the hotel, I started to see that I wasn't in the best neighborhood. I drove past the hotel -- and kept going! Thankfully, I was able to find another hotel in a better area for a little bit more money. And my reliable big brother once again played travel secretary for me, cancelling the icky motel reservation. (That reminds me: I still have to blog about the Boston cab experience.)

Who would think that Tulsa is a scary city? It is. Tulsa's murder, rape & assault rates are twice the national average -- and higher than in Oklahoma City! Not exactly an ideal vacation spot. So, you can understand why I went with my gut about the safety of my hotel. My life and peace of mind are worth another $15-20 per night, don't you think?

And that brings me to my confession: I am a sheet snob. I would love to know WHY so many hotel beds are made with flat sheets instead of fitted sheets. Seriously. I can't stand having to get up in the middle of the night and re-making the bed. It's a big pet peeve of mine -- please tell me I'm not the only one who doesn't get this?
It also bugs me when they don't get rid of the threadbare sheets. Really, how much does a new white sheet set actually set the hotel back?

Yeah, I know, major problems. :)

I'm leaving you with a quote that I saw on a church sign in rural Oklahoma:
"Don't be open-minded -- your brain will fall out."
Seriously. I swear to God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't had time to read all your blogs lately....

But I can tell you, after hundreds of hotel stays, mostly for business, I know why they use the flat sheets. It cuts their inventory, brain power, etc, by half. If they only use flat sheets throughout the hotel, they never have to worry about grabbing a fitted sheet vs flat, they grab the king size sheets, and know they can make a bed no matter what.

As for the open-mind comment, I am shocked! SO sad. I have heard it said, "keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out," and I like that....

Anonymous said...

Oh I guess that makes sense about the sheets. But I still dont have to like it haha.

And I wish I could have taken a pic of that church sign! I wonder if they were trying to make the quote shorter and goofed it up? heehee
Lisa