Saturday, May 3, 2008

Short Sheeted

It's cold! The temp is currently in the 40s at 10pm tonight, and it's supposed to dip down to 30 or so by morning.

And since I let my green thumb prevail over common sense (the freeze cutoff date for this zone is May 15), I have several young plants out in the garden. Lucky for me, I have plenty of sheets to cover the flower beds, as well as the containers that are too big to drag indoors. I have 11 different sheets and four pillowcases draped around plants in my yard, and 10 containers or hanging baskets spending the night in my kitchen. I'm sure it looks a little...funny...but who cares? I've done worse, like the time I ran after Baxter in my PJs. Come morning, the sun will be shining and my plants will still be alive.

I'm glad I don't have something outdoors that my income depends on. I can't imagine the stress for the people who have chicks outside, or the orchard/fruit crop owners -- especially since they already lost last year's crops to the April 2007 ice storm. (I am sure I'm not the only person who is hoping the blueberries make it through this late-season frost.)

Good night, sleep tight!

No comments: