Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Stormy!

There hasn't been much excitement around here. The big storms keep missing us -- including the big one that ripped through Oklahoma Monday evening. A big hole opened up in the radar and we didn't even get a drop of rain. I was hoping to try my hand at some photography, but by the time anything was within sight, it was too dark. I'm sure there will be other opportunities! Maybe even today -- it's hot and steamy already this morning with thunderstorms promised later in the day. I suppose I should be careful what I wish for!

I've become fascinated with tornado chasers: Vortex2, Weather Channel, ChaserTV. I even put up with having Jim Cantore in my living room (ok, on the TV) for four hours on Monday night, watching the tornado coverage. If you haven't seen the video of the multiple tornado that came down in Wakita, OK, you're missing something really wild!

I've been told we're "safe" in the hollow. Really? Does Mother Nature know this? I may have to find out a scientific answer from one of my tornado chaser friends. I truly don't think there are any guarantees in life. I don't have a basement or a tornado trap and haven't decided whether a corner in my bathroom or the icky, dark crawl space would be "the" place to hide if we did get a tornado.

Hoping the storms wear themselves out by Saturday. I'm obsessively watching the weather, as I have an outdoor event to cover for the magazine that day. First it was 70% chance, then 40% and now it's 50% chance. Please, please let it rain Wednesday, Thursday AND Friday. Sunday, even. But not Saturday!

No comments: